There is so much talk these days about hustle.
Everyone’s got a ‘side hustle’. We hear so many messages about hustling: it’s what the successful people do. If you want to be successful, they say, you gotta work harder than everyone else and at the expense of everything else. Sacrifice, long hours and hard work are the only ways to achieve success…so they say.
But the truth is: I don’t believe in hustle.
There is a HUGE difference between working from a place of stress, speed, and scarcity (a.k.a. hustle) versus a place of rest, alignment, and abundance. And success IS possible, even moreso, with the latter!
The hustle mentality:
- instills a belief that we will only be successful if we work our asses off 24/7 (otherwise you’re destined to fail!).
- has us comparing ourselves to everyone else–which never leads to good outcomes and often means it steers us away from being true to ourselves.
- insinuates that if our businesses aren’t where we want them to be, the answer must be to hustle harder, right? Wrong. Honestly, that is very rarely the solution. Just because you work 90-hours per week doesn’t mean you’re going to be successful.
- can lead to things like burnout, health consequences, depression, anxiety, negative impacts on your relationships, and loss of passion, drive, or energy for your business.
But if hustle isn’t the answer to a successful business… what is?
They say you teach what you need to learn yourself.
I’ve struggled with the belief that I need to prove myself, achieve and constantly be “doing” in order to be worthy and loved. But the truth is, we are all inherently worthy regardless of our success. We all are born with value no matter what we do or don’t do. Hustle perpetuates the belief that we have to prove ourselves, which is simply not true.
Over the next two weeks, I will be sharing why hustle isn’t the answer and what I believe instead. And y’all, I am speaking as much to myself as I am to you. I don’t have it all figured out. But I have learned a few things along the way, and today I’m sharing all those lessons with you.
What you’ll learn in this episode:
- Why I think the hustle mentality is doing a disservice to you and your business.
- Work smarter, not harder: A sustainable biz requires self-care, play, creativity, restorative rest, purposeful actions, setting intentions, and goals.
- How to get into alignment and gain clarity, plus some questions to support your planning + success.
- How to tap into both the masculine (hustle) and feminine (flow) energies in cycles and seasons.
Subscribe and Review
Thanks so much for joining me this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Success with Soul Podcast on Apple Podcasts so we can improve and better serve you in the future. Plus, you could be featured on a future episode during our listener spotlights. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on Apple Podcasts to get automatic updates. My goal for this podcast is to inspire those who seek flexibility and freedom in their lives by making something happen with holistic, soulful, step-by-step strategies from me and other experts.
Links + Resources Mentioned in this Episode:
- Manifestation Babe Blog + Website (How to Get Into Alignment and Hustle OR Flow)
- Atomic Habits by James Clear
- Kate Northup and her book Do Less and her Do Less Planner
- Free to Focus by Michael Hyatt
Ready to start a blog but not sure what you should blog about? Take this quiz: What Kind of Blog Should you Start?
Ready to start your blogging journey? Join my free masterclass to discover 3 Behind-the-Scenes Secrets to Profitable Blogging in 2020 and Beyond!
More Ways to Enjoy Success with Soul
- Download a transcript of this episode
- Download on Apple Podcasts
- Email me new episodes
- Don’t forget to join our free Success With Soul Facebook community for follow-up conversations about the podcast episodes and where I also often go live to answer your burning questions. Hangout with like-minded bloggers and heart-centered online business owners exchanging priceless feedback, encouragement, and other golden insights from the trenches.